Sage (Salvia officinalis)
GREAT WITH PORK AND CHICKEN
Sage has a strong, slightly bitter and aromatic flavour. Use sparingly.
Did you know?
It was believed that Sage strengthened the memory, hence a sage or wise man would have a long memory.
Sage should be silvery-grey and strongly aromatic. It has a medicinal pine-wood flavour. Thujone is the principal flavour - giving volatile oil.
- Add to finely diced apple and minced pork for tasty meatballs.
- Add to apple sauce for more flavour.
- Mix with breadcrumbs, chopped onion and butter for a really tasty stuffing.
- Sprinkle over pork or chicken before roasting.
- Combine with grated cheese and breadcrumbs as a topping for grilled fish.
- Add to sausage and leek casserole for extra flavour.