MCCORMICK® UNVEILS FIVE ‘GRATE’ TRENDS FOR THE GRILL
With summer now heading our way, McCormick has revealed the grilling trends that are sizzling their way across North America with the release of its Flavour Forecast 2016: Grilling Edition.
Authentic American barbecue cuisine, with its ‘low and slow’ pit barbecue cooking style, has had Brits locked into a red-hot love affair for some time and shows no signs of cooling. Heat haze shimmer on a summer’s day and the gritty waft of barbecue smoke in the air will have hungry, adventure seeking diners heading out in search of the newest, trendiest takes on the grill thrill from across the pond.
More than half of all restaurants in the US include some type of barbecue item on the menu. The reason is simple – barbecue has wide appeal, with more than 95% of US consumers saying they like the application, and nearly one-third saying they eat barbecue or barbecue-sauced items in any given week.*
There’s been a 35% increase in the amount of US barbecue dishes served in UK restaurants since 2010.** Pulled pork is one of the most popular items in the UK, now a familiar item on menus everywhere. Pulled pork products saw a £10m sales growth across 2014, according to research by 2 Sisters Food Group, and the US barbecue market is worth more than £68m in the UK.***
But before you even think of firing up the barbecue, cast an eye for inspiration over the latest mouth-watering, trendsetting report – the McCormick Flavour Forecast 2016: Grilling Edition.
This grilling-specific report reveals the flavours and techniques that will be firing up grills and inspiring backyard bashes all season long — from bold Brazilian sauces to brazen burger rubs and elevated Japanese marinades.
“The summer of 2016 will be all about incorporating smoky, spicy, tangy flavours in new ways we’ve never seen before,” said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. “For instance, cabbage goes way beyond coleslaw – flavour thick-cut cabbage steaks with a smoky sweet marinade, grill, then top with bacon and blue cheese for the ultimate grilled side.”
The smokin’ trends from the report include:
- Bold Brazilian Sauces – With all eyes on Brazil this summer, it’s time to discover the country's range of vibrant signature sauces – from fruity to fiery – that jack up skewered meats
- Brazen Burger Rubs – Take rubs beyond steaks and ribs. Over-the-top burgers get a knockout punch from flavourful spice rubs that create a caramelized outer layer
- Heat + Tang + Smoke – Fresh chillies paired with tangy vinegars and mustards offer a daring flavour contrast when fired up with smoke
- East Meets Grill – Create zesty Asian marinades and sauces on the fly with a simple equation: Sweet + Soy + Spice. Just swap spices for next-level Japanese, Malaysian, Thai or Korean flavours
- Savoury “Steaks” – Prove your grill game with seasoned fruit and veggie “steaks.” Marinate them, grill and load with bacon, toasted coconut, cheese, nuts and more for surprising sides, shared appetisers and meatless mains
* included in a Datassential report titled “Menu Trends Keynote Report on Barbecue and Southern Foods”
**according to thefoodpeople.
McCormick chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists have stoked backyard cooks’ creativity with new flavours, recipes and techniques. This special grilling edition builds on McCormick’s 16-year history of releasing its annual Flavour Forecast report, which identifies the top trends and ingredients shaping the future of flavour
Since 2000, the annual McCormick® Flavour Forecast® has identified top trends and ingredients driving the future of flavour. Created by a global team of McCormick experts — including chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists — the Flavour Forecast inspires culinary exploration and innovation around the world. Visit FlavourForecast.com to learn more
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavour. With $4.2 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavoured by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavour™. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.